Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dog Clutch


The Dog clutch is the next thing to come under scrutiny. I first had this made for me be for I had my own lathe. I wanted it made of ali, but it came over engineered made of steel and heavy. Also when disengaged the CV inner was far too loose and would probably rattle. I have also changed my mind on the reverse and no longer need the "V" puly.

Taking the old dog clutch apart was difficult to say the least. It would not pull apart in the vice so I cut three slits in the sleeve that goes over the CV joint, still no joy. Next came the blow lamp and a bigger hammer, it would not budge. I machined the sleeve off completely, that left the remaining bit just butted up to the CV joint. I then noticed that I had used a small bead of stixall as a sealant when I assembled it. It still needed a large lump hammer to part it! As I said amazing stuff that Stixall.

No comments: