Friday, December 19, 2008

Reworking Clutch


I have been very busy making small progress. My converter to dog-clutch shaft was a little out of true, I thought I would straighten it up by puting it on the lathe heating it up evenly as it is turning and then tapping it until it is true. This did not work, once it got to the critical temperature for the Lumiweld (about 500 degrees C) it fell apart. I was not too surprised at this and it gave me the chance to re machine the face and set it up before re doing the Lumiweld. I made a sort of vertical spit roast device for the lathe so as I could rotate the shaft vertically as I heated it up evenly to re apply the Lumiweld. All went well, the shaft cooled down perfectly true. But cleaning up the welded bit I found a small empty pocket that may have effected the balance. So I re-heated it, flowed a bit more Lumiweld in as I taped it to get the air out. It looked perfect but it was out of true again. So re-heat take apart re machine, add a few few bolts an d now it is true again.

No comments: